Friday, April 9, 2010

Diving into a Gluten Free World

Dash has always had a 'sensitive' stomach like his mommy.  However, recently, I have been trying to make note of what he eats before he gets sick.  It appears to me that foods high in gluten (pasta for example) tend to be a trigger.  I know that many families with autistic children turn to a gluten free diet in hopes of modifying behavior.  Behavior modification is not my main goal, but it would be a nice side affect.  We are introducing gluten free alternatives to his favorite foods, such as gluten free tortillas instead of flour tortillas.  The overall reception has been good.  Dash is also a bit on the chubby side, so I'm hoping that a gluten free diet will be better on his digestive system and he might lose some weight.  As always, our life is learn by doing, so we just jump in with two feet and hope for the best.  I would love any kid friendly gluten free recipes if you'd be interested in sharing!  I'll keep you posted in the days ahead ....

2 comments:

  1. I have a sensitive stomach also. I've actually been tested for gluten (a simple blood test) but it came back negative. I'll be interested to see how this works. I'm not sure I have the will power to do it. -Ladera

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have jumped into this, I'm finding that it's not as difficult as you think. So many people are gluten free these days that there are a lot of GOOD foods available in stores (at a bit higher price than their gluten filled alternative), but you should give it a try. For Tanner, breakfast will be the most challenging, but they have gluten free waffles and tortillas and bread!

    ReplyDelete