Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sometimes I Expect Too Much from Crash

Well, Dash has played soccer the past two years in our local parks and rec league.  It's very low key, just the right place to start someone new to the sport.  Of course, not surprisingly, Dash was apprehensive most of the time.  He did triumph over the fear and anxiety and actually got out on the field and played quite a bit over the two years.  Well, Crash was finally old enough to play this year.  He has been dying to get out on the field every year ... so here is his chance!  Needless to say, he did not live up to my expectations.  I guess because he's the "normal" one that I assume things will always be easier with him.  Not true.  He is, after all, still an unpredictable four year old child.  I have realized that I expect him to fill in the holes of disappointment.  I expect him to do all the regular things that Dash can't or won't do.  And I have realized that is a lot for a little four year old boy to live up to.

I found that I was getting really frustrated with Crash when he refused to go on the soccer field with the excuse of , "I'm too shy."  I was literally disappointed and somewhat crushed that he was not the soccer star I had secretly dreamed of.  As the title of the blog says...Our Learn By Doing Life ... once again I have learned a valuable lesson about myself and the expectations I place on both my boys.

I have to say that even though he rarely set foot on the soccer field, he sure was proud to get his trophy today!  He couldn't wait to come home and show Grandma and couldn't wait for Daddy to get home and show him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment